Donald Trump is a billionaire thanks to his real estate business and TV show.
The 70 year-old businessman, born on 6 June 1946 in Queens, New York, was a star athlete and student leader. He holds a degree in Economics from the Wharton School of Finance, University of Pennsylvania. After graduation, he took charge of his father Fred Trump‘s construction firm and moved to Manhattan. He built networks of influential people and took advantage of local economic opportunities that allowed him to engage in profitable projects. Donald named his original conglomerate the Trump Organization, today it runs office towers, hotels and casinos all over the world.
Trump’s extravagant achievements quickly put him at number 324 on the Forbes list. The Apprentice, a reality TV series that Trump starred in and co-produced for NBC for 12 years, earned him celebrity status. After 2005, Trump focused his attention on politics and was elected the Republican presidential candidate on 19 July 2016.
Despite his economic success, Trump does not have any political experience. As a citizen turned presidential candidate, his past has been scrutinised and many scandals have been exposed: sexual assault accusations including rape allegations, a lack of respect for immigrants, a proposal to build a wall on the US’s southern border, discrimination against women, among others.
In addition to the scandals, Trump has made a number of bizarre and shocking statements. One of these concerned Obama’s birthplace. During the 2008 election cycle Trump said, “An ‘extremely credible source’ has called my office and told me that Barack Obama’s birth certificate is a fraud.” Trump declared he would send investigators to find out the truth. During the 2016 race, Trump accused Hillary Clinton of being “a nasty woman” in the third presidential debate.
Some supporters believe Trump will lower the US national debt, currently in the trillions. They believe he could build an empire, thanks to his business success and are pleased that he is not afraid to speak his mind, a level of transparency previous presidents lacked.
Donald Trump’s policies, according to his official website
- Produce an active prosperous economy, bring 25 million more jobs opportunities in the next 10 years and boost financial growth to 3.5% every year on average.
- Ameliorate the tax plan base and build a more suitable framework, an America-First trade policy, more freedom with regards to the American energy plan.
- Decrease taxes across the board, specifically for working-class and middle-income families.
- Make sure wealthier people pay their portion in taxes, but do not overpay in order to maintain jobs and competitiveness.
- Introduce a new budget and work to restore the disused military.
- Enlarge the US Army by up to 540,000 soldiers in active service and in accordance with the demand of the Army’s Chief of Staff.
- Place the jobs, salaries and security of the American people first.
- Assure American workers get jobs first, introduce new immigration controls and improve salaries to some extent.